Maximum performance using minimal power
With the Catalyst Module, embedded systems users no longer have to make a trade-off between performance and power consumption. This module offers the processing capabilities of an Intel Atom processor and System Controller Hub (SCH) US15W while maintaining low power. Centered on customization, the design allows engineers to readily mount the module onto adapter boards for special device needs.
Using a COM Express connector with a custom pinout optimized for the new Intel processor, the module delivers the Atom's features while allowing customers to define their final products using customizable adapter boards.
Because the design focuses on maximizing capability while minimizing power consumption, the module offers a broader range of features compared to other Atom-based products. For example, a PATA interface native to the Intel Atom platform reduces power consumption. Two PCI Express ports are exposed at the connector to achieve greater user flexibility without sacrificing other interfaces. The design also has added thermal and EMI performance to eliminate the need for heat spreaders or sinks.
"The Catalyst Module offers embedded designers a unique solution, including the full feature set available from the Intel Atom," says Gregorio Nicoloso, Eurotech Inc. CEO. "The Catalyst Module is backed by Eurotech's stance that success is driven by building long-term relationships with our customers to get to production as soon as possible with the right product and the right business model. Our flexibility and built-in support help drive Catalyst's success in the market."
Primary target applications: Gaming, medical, handheld, industrial, and military systems
Sponsor: Eurotech Inc.
Year of concept release: 2008
Product information: www.eurotechcatalyst.com
Dimensions: 2.8" x 3.9" (67 mm x 100 mm)
- Computer-On-Module (COM) with custom pinout
- Secondary adapter board required to bring out additional connectors and features
- Power input:
- 3.3 V and 5 V, plus 1.5 V battery backup
- Module averages 2-3 W in typical applications
- Up to 1 GB of DDR2 DRAM
- Dual independent display outputs
- Video interfaces for UXGA, XGA, SXGA, and HD
- Video codecs supporting H.264, MPEG-4/2/1, DivX, and Windows Media 9
- Intel HD audio
- Onboard Trusted Platform Module v1.2
- Up to two PATA drives
- Up to three SD/MMC cards
- Up to eight USB 2.0 ports
- Gigabit Ethernet
- PCI Express for high-speed I/O
- Operating system support for Linux, Windows XP/XPe/CE 6.0/Vista, and other RTOSs
- Additional adapter board expandability